Thursday 4 July 2013

Tour De France: Cagnes-Sur-Mer to Marseille Stage 5

Wednesday, as I remember, would be my big ride. Today's stage 5 (Cagnes-Sur-Mer to Marseille), or at least the final third of the route, tracks my old training ride of 30 years ago. Early on I would take in the climb of Mount Faron, famous from the Paris Nice... and in my young and fertile imagination Sean Kelly would be on my wheel struggling to hang on.

Heading inland I'd take in a nice steady climb from Le Beausset up to the motor race track, Circuit du Castellet Paul Ricard and it's just past here where my ride followed today's route. If memory serves it seemed mostly down hill with testing swooping bends and many fast straight roads into Marseille town. My reward, coffee and pastries sat by the yacht filled harbour.

The ride home was always great. Riding up the long twisting and usually wind assisted climb out of marseille and on to Cassis via the beautiful coast road then back home to Sanary-Sur-Mer for an evening dip in the med followed by a cold beer at the local. Strange to think I now live back in blighty, what happened there...

I thought I'd show you a pic of me in these spectacular surroundings but this is the only record of me there. As you can see from the lack of tan lines I didn't look like a cyclist and that's how its turned out.

Surfs up... my bike's in that shed























Then today I watched the real deal, Mark Cavendish, storm home with his Quick Step team to win stage 5. Fantastic.